Don’t you just love Asian and Middle Eastern businesses in Nigeria? Dr. Ola Brown calls them Nimble Ninjas because of their long-term approach to building profitable businesses, which usually addresses mass market needs. Here are some notable ones:
1. The Keswanis (Artee Group): Founded in 1998. Notable brand: SPAR services.
2. The Chagourys (Chagoury Group): Founded in 1971. Notable brands: Hitech Construction, Eko Hôtels and Eko Atlantic.
3. The Hathiramanis (Dana Group): Started in the 1970s. Notable brands; Dana Steel Mill, Dana Motors Limited, etc
4. The Mahtanis (Churchgate Group): Started in 1968. Notable brands: World Trade Center Abuja, Stanbic IBTC
5. The Vinks (Tropical General Investments Group): Started in the 1980s: Notable brands: Big Bull Rice (started Chi Limited but sold to Coca-Cola)
6. The Aswanis (Tolaram Group): Been in Nigeria for more than 60 years. Notable brands: Indomie
Given how long these businesses have operated and thrived in Nigeria, maybe we could learn a thing or two from them.
Source: “Inside the Investment Portfolios of Top Ten Int’l Family Investors in Nigeria (https://thetop10magazine.com.ng)